Monday, December 24, 2007

Fancy paper photoframes?

When I find time to scrapbook, I always focus on the memories. Journaling and pictures are the center of my pages. They are the decorations. I also like to save money. I will not buy paper that costs more than 50 cents a sheet and the cheaper it is the better I like it. I never add stickers or other doodads, but my pages are attractive and interesting. At least I think so :-)


When I first discovered scrapbooking I quickly decided that I would not do 12x12 or other special sized pages. Having to buy special scrapbooking materials is far too expensive. (However 12x12 papers can be a bargain if you cut them and use them behind photos and journaling). Instead I buy standard office page protectors for 81/2 x 11 pages and put them in standard 3-ring binders. These can be personalized as well which is great. This way is so flexible, I like being able to always move the pages as I add more.


However, recently I have been looking at my options again with the gift of a 12x12 scrapbook and finding free software that will let my scrapbook digitally on Linux. It was very entertaining to me to see how other people scrapbook. Do they never think about how expensive their method is? All those costly papers, vellum, stickers, eyelets, and lettering. Their pages can easily cost five dollars each. Often there is little or no journaling and only one photo on the page. Are they just making paper photo frames? Is scrapbooking about memories or art?


As a Christian, I see a spiritual issue as well. In the Bible, God frequently condemns those who spend all their time and energy on themselves while widows and orphans suffer. His greatest concern has always been for the poor and helpless since before the Flood and looking forward to our day. Yes, scrapbooking is fun, but I could congratulate myself for spending less on this hobby than others. However, I know that time is also an issue. I have three girls, two of which are in homeschool. I have a village outside my door that needs to experience the joy and power of God in their lives. As much I want to be more organized to have more time to scrapbook and write, I must be sure to not neglect my more important missions.


Verity

No comments: