Thursday, February 14, 2008

In Praise of Arms

Valentine's Day is the day that everyone's thoughts turn to love, especially romantic love. But today, one Selawik elder, May is grieving the loss of her husband. In fact, they just brought home his body this morning. Though he had been ill for sometime and was ready to rest, she misses him terribly. When I visited my friend Pauline and mentioned May, she affirmed May's feeling, saying it was like having your arm cut off. She shared how hard it was to lose her own husband.

As I listened, I knew that I can do more to appreciate all that Warren is. May and Pauline have given me a start in that direction. I want to bless my family by my presence in their lives. They are not here to please me, my life was given to me to enrich others. God gave me Warren and my life is so much richer because of him.

Before we married, I committed to myself that I would never say anything negative about Warren to anyone and that I would never use that terrible d-word.These have helped a lot. But it is hard to keep up the passion here without a babysitter, especially in the winter. I plan to be more committed to taking evening walks together. I have been convicted that I have focused too much of myself on our girls. God has gradually been gaining his proper first place in my priorities. But Warren deserves more than he has received from me.

Marriage is so precious; it is the deepest human love we can know. If you are married, I entreat you to do whatever it takes to make your marriage strong in Jesus. If you are not married, be sure all your relationships are guided with prayer.

In love,

Verity

No comments: