Thursday, November 13, 2008

A new view of school

I have seriously considered unschooling or delight-directed learning, which taken to it's ultimate conclusion, lets children decide whatever they want to learn. I still agree that the teacher can not decide what a student will learn or when or how, and that learning does happens best when the student is excited and finds it relevant. However I found it difficult to drop "school" altogether, so now I am doing the three R's and Inupiaq. I have a storytime every day that works for our science/social studies/history. Warren also reads some more stories after evening worship. Since our return from Washington, after encouragement from an old friend, added to my own thoughts I found time in our schedule for music and exercise again. The girls seem really ready this time.

Isn't learning fun,
Verity

No comments: